Friday, February 12, 2010

Dumbest Generation

I'm going to have to disagree on this one. Different? yes. dumb? no. We have been a generation that has been growing up with this new age technology. We are used to it we learn to adapt to it and it comes easy to most of us. Past generations have grew up with the hard text and the classics. I believe the classics change as time goes on and that what we read now isnt always going to be a hard copy, we can now find anything we need online. I dont think we are a dumb generation I just believe we are different from previous generations. So I am going to ask the question are we truly dumb? or are we just different?

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you! We are definitely different, but not dumb. We are just adapting to our surroundings. If I were to answer your question, I would say we're just different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think that what it boils down to is that its just a different day and age. Back when Moby Dick was written or when Mozart was around there weren't nearly as many people in the world as there are today. As of February 14th 2010, the Earth's population is estimated by the United States Census Bureau to be 6,802,600,000. The United Nations estimated the world's population to be 6,800,000,000 in 2009. In 1 year that is a difference of 2,600,000. In 1 year thats how many new people are entering the world??? That is Crazy. In 1750 there was only around 791 million people in the world. With the lack of people comes the lack of ideas, new knowledge, and discovery. What i am getting at is early years there was less to know and to learn about. As we evolve more information comes to us. You cant expect a population of 6,802,600,000 to be as smart as a population of 791 million. There is just to much variability

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree with you one hundred percent. Even though the books of the past are looked at as classics, does not mean they hold relevance today. As readings become older I think they lose relevance. Also the fact that it becomes harder and harder for people to connect with characters when they are so different from the reader. The author felt that knowledge of classic books defined knowledge when that clearly is not the case. What did Shakespeare know about chemistry or calculus?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you completely past generations did have it a lot harder than us but that is not our fault. To answer your questions I would say we are not truly dumb but we truly are just different. Is that a bad thing?

    ReplyDelete